Director of Engineering
Developing products that solve real problems for our customers is at the heart of everything we do, and we’re on the hunt for an exceptional Director of Engineering for our Quest product lines which are changing the game in commercial insurance.
Reporting to our CTO, the Engineering Director will be accountable for growing and managing the engineering teams across London and Delhi.
They will also be responsible for assessing the time it will take to deliver features (or products), and delivering quality releases on that schedule. Engineering Director will be coauthoring technical direction and strategy of the company with CTO and creating a culture which produces and attracts talent to deliver efficiency at scale.
This is an exciting and rewarding role requiring a smart, disciplined and experienced tech savvy leader who is extremely up to date with modern technologies and architectural approaches and has proven track record of building and managing high performing distributed teams.
This is a senior leadership role which oversees all engineering functions within the company across London and Delhi. You will need to provide mentorship and guidance to teams.
- Work closely with CTO to define a robust delivery processes for the Engineering functions to deliver efficiency at scale and use a data driven approach to continuously measure and improve.
- Lead, manage and mentor a team of engineering managers and related personnel and instil an inclusive team culture that is passionate, empathetic, and collaborative.
- Grow and expand your expert team with an eye toward diverse and forward-pushing skills that produces top levels of engineering talent. To include hiring, developing and retaining top engineering talent and growing the company profile in tech communities.
- Lead strong partnerships with Concirrus’s product management, engineering, operations, and sales teams to define and prioritise engineering tasks to deliver new features and functionality to the Quest product lines in an optimal way.
- Drive execution to ensure that the roadmap and projects are completed on-time, within budget, and as per the goals agreed with product management and key stakeholders. Identify new, innovative means to maximise productivity and quality through agile development methods, industry best practices and policies.
- Bring in additional temporary engineering resources (freelancers, offshore partners, contractors etc) if required by the company in order to hit key deliverables.
We’re a growing and talented bunch, based in London and Delhi, passionate about changing the way that insurance works forever.
With expertise from big data, machine learning and AI, to software development, marketing, design, sales, product management and, of course, insurance, we are looking for exceptional people as excited as we are about tech and client enablement.
Our founders Andy and Craig are visionary and entrepreneurial, with Craig starting his first business at age 19, and Andy with extensive experience of fast-growth business strategies, turnarounds and mergers and acquisitions.
With substantial investment under our belt, we also have a Board of Directors and Advisory Board with decades of experience in executive insurance and technology roles
You…Results-driven. Innovative. Courageous
You are a passionate tech leader who understands the challenges involved in delivery complex products at scale. You are very hands on with the technology and cloud offering and have deep experience in building and managing top engineering teams.
You can take high level company goals and translate them into a solid execution strategy and build/manage teams to deliver these on time with the highest possible quality.
You have experience in a range of modern technologies through your current role but have also researched and played around with other modern technologies in your own time.
You have proven track record with taking technology and architectural decisions objectively and dealing with ambiguity. You enjoy managing distributed teams and have a genuine interest in people’s growth and well being and value a healthy culture.
Our ideal candidate would be someone who has started as a developer and grown into tech leadership roles over the time.
You will need...
- At least 10 years in engineering and engineering leadership with solid experience in running, and growing, multi-functional distributed teams in a fast paced technology company using scrum/agile methodologies.
- Strong leadership experience, managing, hiring and growing engineering teams of 50+ team members across 2 or more locations and collaborated cross-functionally with product management, operations, marketing, sales, and technology partners.
- Experience with managing ambiguity, competing priorities and decision making in a fast paced technology Company.
- Strong communication skills with engineers as well as your non-technical colleagues.
- Experience of cloud, Big Data, analytics, distributed systems and microservices architectures.
- An ability to learn quickly and be flexible about what technologies are used. (We are currently using a range of technologies including Java, AWS, Big data tools, No-SQL databases such as Mongo DB, search indexes like Elastic search, analytics engines like Presto or Athena, API gateways, K8s, CI/CD etc.)
- An awareness of security at all stages of the development process. Comprehensive automated testing experience with continuous integration and continuous delivery pipelines.
- A passion for code quality and readability. Have proven track records around thinking big, bias for action and you will insist on highest standards.
Ideally you will have…
- Any background in Insurance or Insurtech.
- Experience working in scaling technology companies.
- Prior experience in managing Indian offshore teams.
- Hands on experience: to be able to sit with developers and lead by example would be an advantage, but we don't expect you to code obviously!
As well as the opportunity to work on projects that you enjoy in an environment you’ll love, we like to look after our team members at Concirrus. Here are some of our perks:
- Employee share scheme so you get to own a piece of the pie
- We pay competitively with regular pay reviews
- Spacious, modern offices a stone’s throw from the culinary delights of Borough Market, and with a pub literally on our doorstep. The office is located on St Thomas Street, opposite The Shard
- Coffee and snacks are all on hand in the office to keep you fuelled
- Friday FED talks – like TED talks, but you get fed (on us)
- Monthly team drinks, birthday cakes and social events
- Pension scheme – generous matched contribution
- Plus, we’re always on the lookout for creative ways to look after our employees and encourage them to come to us when they have an idea or needs